Definition of 上
- (n, adj-no, n-adv, n-suf) above; up; over; elder (e.g. daughter)
It's in the overhead compartment.
- top; summit
You may be able to read the handwriting on the wall, but it is Greek to me.
- surface; on
Are there any pens on the desk?
- before; previous
- superiority; one's superior (i.e. one's elder)
- on top of that; besides; what's more
It was cold, and, in addition, it was windy.
- upon (further inspection, etc.); based on (and occurring after)
- matters concerning...; as concerns ...
- since (i.e. "for that reason")
- (n-suf) suffix indicating higher social standing
- place of one's superior (i.e. the throne)
- emperor; sovereign; shogun; daimyo
- noblewoman (esp. the wife of a nobleman)
- (n) upper reaches (of a river); upper stream
- top; upper part; upper half (of the body)
- long ago
- beginning; first
- person of high rank (e.g. the emperor)
- government; imperial court
- imperial capital (i.e. Kyoto); capital region (i.e. Kansai); region (or direction of) the imperial palace
- head (of a table)
- wife; mistress (of a restaurant)
- (n-suf) from the standpoint of; as a matter of (e.g. fact); in the field of; being of the type of
- aboard (a ship or vehicle); on top of; on; above
- (n) first volume (e.g. book)
- (n, pref) superior quality; best; top; high class
- going up
- governmental; imperial
- presenting; showing
- (pref) ana- (medical, biol.)