Definition of 上げる
- (v1, vt) to raise; to elevate
If you have a question, please raise your right hand.
- to do up (one's hair)
I also prefer it with the hair worn up.
- to fly (a kite, etc.); to launch (fireworks, etc.); to surface (a submarine, etc.)
The fireworks were set off on all sides.
- to land (a boat)
- to deep-fry
- to show someone (into a room)
- (uk) to summon (for geishas, etc.)
- to send someone (away)
- to enrol (one's child in school); to enroll
- to increase (price, quality, status, etc.)
The store raised all the prices.
- to make (a loud sound); to raise (one's voice)
He cried out and ran away.
- to earn (something desirable)
He got wonderful results.
- to praise
- to give (an example, etc.); to cite
Reporter: Can you give me an example?
- to summon up (all of one's energy, etc.)
Fight with all your might.
- to arrest
- to nominate
I put Paul's name forward as a possible candidate.
- to give
- to offer up (incense, a prayer, etc.) to the gods (or Buddha, etc.)
- to bear (a child)
- to conduct (a ceremony, esp. a wedding)
I held a wedding ceremony last month.
- (v1, vi) (of the tide) to come in
- (v1, vi, vt) to vomit
- (aux-v, v1) to do for (the sake of someone else)
- (suf, v1) to complete ...
- to humbly do ...