Definition of 上がる
- (v5r, vi) to rise; to go up; to come up; to ascend; to be raised
There's a good view of Mt. Akagi from upstairs.
- to enter (esp. from outdoors); to come in; to go in
- to enter (a school); to advance to the next grade
- to get out (of water); to come ashore
- to increase
Taxi fares will go up next month.
- to improve; to make progress
- to be promoted; to advance
- to be made (of profit, etc.)
- to occur (esp. of a favourable result)
- to be adequate (to cover expenses, etc.)
- to be finished; to be done; to be over
"Kaname, when can you leave?" "It's till closing so it takes till eight."
- (of rain) to stop; to lift
- to stop (working properly); to cut out; to give out; to die
The next day the battery was flat again.
- to win (in a card game, etc.)
- to be arrested
- to turn up (of evidence, etc.)
I never make a speech without being nervous.
- to be deep fried
Keiichi, the tempura's done, so bring a plate.
- to be spoken loudly
While welcoming the firming up of the present government policy to abandon the proposal of the reform bill to the Diet, at the same time some are worried that Prime Minister Koizumi won't clearly state the bill's withdrawal.
- to get stage fright
- to be offered (to the gods, etc.)
- to go; to visit
I will call for it tomorrow.
- to eat; to drink
- to be listed (as a candidate)
- to serve (in one's master's home)
- (in Kyoto) to go north
- (suf, v5r) (after the -masu stem of a verb) indicates completion